OE² is a culturally and environmentally sensitive process that assists communities in maximizing the benefits from natural resource developments in their traditional territories. These resource developments can include pipelines, hydroelectric dams, mines, or any development that can cause changes to the land, water, wildlife, and overall landscape.
OE² brings together traditional community activities and values with techniques in modern economics, math, and statistics to assist in determining how a natural resource development will affect the community(s).
OE² uses comprehensive wetland, forest, and water data together with community level data, testimonies, reports, focus groups and surveys in order to analyze hunting, fishing, gathering, trapping, and other traditional activities.
• Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
• Environmental Sciences
• Computer Science and Database Management
• Survey Design and Implementation (culturally sensitive)
• Indigenous Studies and Rights
• Negotiating compensation settlements, resource sharing agreements, and/or Impact Benefit Agreements.
• Assisting the community, project proponents, and government in minimizing damages caused by the development and ensuring culturally sensitive areas are avoided.
• Assisting the community in maximizing the benefits created by business, employment, and training opportunities.
• Helping form a case to stop the resource development if the community sees it unfavorably and/or results conclude that the project costs (including all environmental costs) will outweigh the benefits.
OE² was developed by Miles Consulting Services and Indigenous Management Group Inc. and has been effectively implemented in various First Nation communities. The results have been used to assist communities in negotiating substantial compenstation settlements, maximizing the benefits associated with business, employment, and training opportunities, and to assist communities in having developments terminated if they are deemed too harmful to the way of life.
102 Kane Avenue Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3J 2N9 www.milesconsultingservices.com
616-294 Portage Avenue Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3C 0B9 www.indigenousmanagement.ca